Days 1 to 11
rest and minor fixes, reported by users
Gamayun was able to search and summarize things. It was time for the next step — summarize web pages! It turned out that this is actually pretty complicated. There are several chrome extensions that simplify web pages to more print friendly versions. None of them however seemed to work the way I wanted so I decided to try and find a way to be able to extract text from online articles. It took some time. On day 13 I stayed up till 2AM. It still didn’t work….
I kept trying. PHP DOMDocument is pretty awesome and easy to use. Despite that websites have different DOM structures. Actually they don’t have anything in common. After additional 5 hours I managed to make it work. It took a lot of combination of parentNode, childNode, texts comparisons, number of children and a so many other things, but I have tested it with several websites and it seems to work.
My sleep deprived brain couldn’t think of anymore websites to test it on, but it is live and online on http://birdofknowledge.com so if anyone finds website that it doesn’t work on, just let me know and I will fix it.
I will be attempting to add user accounts in the next few days. We’ll see how it will turn out.
And of course anyone is more than welcomed to subscribe for Gamayun here — https://www.producthunt.com/upcoming/gamayun, test it, tweet to it and whatever else you can think of :)