Node.js V.10.0 released a few days back and why there is so much hype about the Node.js around the world? Let me share some case study about Node.js, usage in production, future of Node.js and Why should Entrepreneur, Startups founder, CTO keep an eye on new shift coming in the market.
Netflix is the best example who leveraged the benefit of Node.js by implementing it for production and they achieved the tremendous result-economically and in performance.
Netflix is one of the world’s largest online media streaming providers delivering almost 7 billion hours of videos to nearly 50 million customers in 60 countries per quarter.
Why Netflix Implemented the Node.js by Yunong Xiao, Principle Engineer, Netflix.
A primary reason to move to Node.js
- Have a common language for both server-side and browser side.
- Performance that Node.js offers. From a 40 minute + startup time they went to under a minute
- Node has a lot of modules that are a mostly open source.
- To build the single page application.
Future Goal for Netflix
Node.js support Non-blocking and can use for microservices like AWS Lambda to develop serverless architecture.The company is planning to use AWS Lambda to build rule-based self-managing infrastructure and replace inefficient processes to reduce the rate of errors and save valuable time.
Paypal was one of the first company who was given a chance to use Node.js, to take the risk to make difference because at that time Node.js was not popular language.
Surprisingly, they got unbelievable result team of 2 developers caught the team of java developers in prototype development, That’s very fast. You can develop an application in half time using Node.js compare to Java.
Primary reasons to implement Node.js
A primary reason to implement the node.js in production was to handle the “100% Business Availability, even with Huge Load”.
“Around 1.5 billion dollars are being spent online in the US on a single day on Black Friday, each year.”
Paypal got the good result in performance which user can definitely notice:
35% decrease in the average response time for the same page. This
resulted in the pages being served 200ms faster — something users
will definitely notice.
The future of Node.js is bright
Yes, I’m serious. You will be too ! Here is the proof –
Since Node.js has LTS (a long-term support plan which focuses on security and stability) since 2015, it’s no wonder that huge enterprises constantly add it to their stacks.
Why should Entrepreneur keep eye on trend?
- You need half the team to develop your application or product
- Can deploy an application in serverless architecture? You can reduce the number of servers required to serve a customer.
- Makes customer happier by reducing the page loading time by 50 to 60% Kissmetric’s study showed that 40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load, and 47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less.
Applications areas for Node.js:
- Payment Processing
- Powerful SPA-Netflix
- Social Media
- Real-time Services-Chat
- Enterprise Web Service