There has never been more demand for infosec and other IT professionals than there is right now. Especially with the GDPR recently going into effect, now there will be a greater demand for technical computing skills worldwide. Combine this with the fact that most people only stay at a job for anywhere between 1 and 10 years, chances are you will be needing to polish up your interviewing skills sooner than you think.
If you have been out of college or in your current job more than 2 years, chances are the interviewing process has changed a lot since your last interview. Even just a few years ago you would send in your resume and wait for a phone call then go in for an interview, eventually getting a job offer. These days the process is much more drawn out — your resume and cover letter are much less important than your online reputation and your LinkedIn profile, and you are likely to go on half a dozen different interviews for the same job before you get it.
Here’s what you need to know to hack your next job interview:
- Before you even start looking, clean up and update your online profiles
- Show up 5–10 minutes early for your interview, no more and no less
- Wear appropriate clothing and make sure your personal hygiene is up to snuff
- Don’t lie or exaggerate
- Showcase your skills and personality in the interview — you have to show that you can be the linchpin
- Be courteous to everyone, including the door man and the front desk clerk
- Prep for your interview by researching the job and the company you will be working for
Learn more tips for hacking your next job interview from this infographic.