For some unexplainable reasons, I already told myself that I won’t write any post related to my “2016 in review”, but then I saw Segun Famisa’s excellent 2016 in review article. Immediately, I was fired up!!! But then, me to me, I was like, NO!!!
I would be the Special Adviser to the Devil on Lying Affairs if i said 2016 was ordinary for me. It was incredibly amazing, outstanding, and super-lit, OMG!
Open Source Projects
This year I had the privilege of working on a lot of open source projects. At different times last year, some of these projects surprisingly got massive attention. 😱😱😱😱
- Laravel Hackathon Starter: A comprehensive hackathon/MVP boilerplate for Laravel web applications.
- Laravel Password: Guard your users against entering dumb passwords in your Laravel 5 apps.
- Awesome Open Source apps: Curated list of awesome open source crafted web & mobile applications for developers to learn from.
- Laravel Paystack: Laravel 5 Lite Package for Paystack.
- Mvrd: Motor Vehicle Registration Information Search Portal Library.
- Jusibe PHP Lib: PHP Client Library for Jusibe SMS REST API Service https://jusibe.com . Also created a Laravel package and Notification Channel Library for it.
- Atom Aurelia Snippets: Atom package: Aurelia snippets using ES6 syntax.
- Linda Ikeji CLI: A CLI tool for Hackers, HR Associates, HR Managers and Lazy People to read Linda Ikeji. 💻 💁 🙋
- Laravel Identify: Laravel 5 Package to Detect Users Browsers, Devices, Languages and Operating Systems. 📦 📱
- Laravel Ngsc: Laravel 5 Package that provides a fluent API for states and cities in Nigeria. 📦 🍀
- Laravel Quotes: Laravel 5 Package that provides all kinds of quotes from success to programming to life to DJKHALED for your Laravel app! 🔑 🙏
- Laravel Emoji: Laravel 5 Package that harnesses the power of PHP 7 unicode features to provide emojis in your laravel app. 😋
- Vue twittershare: A Vue.js directive for sharing page items to twitter.
- Ascii Faces: PHP Package to Show beautiful cool ascii faces like ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ in your terminal.
- Laravel Exam: A Laravel exam project with questions from beginner to expert curated by the community and I.
You can check for a lot more I created and worked on this year on my Github Account.
This year I wrote a lot. I had the opportunity of writing over 80 articles, technical and non-technical.
These were amongst my most popular articles —
- One way to Greatness: Pick Yourself.
- Jon Skeet — The Chuck Norris of Programming.
- Bootstrapping a React Project.
- 5 Things you can do with Yarn.
- Creating your First Laravel app and adding authentication.
- How to build your own Youtube — Part 1 (A series from Part 1 to 10).
- Build a Customer Service Messaging App in 5 minutes.
- Multi-factor Authentication in your React Apps.
- Human beings are Open Source Projects.
This year also, I had the opportunity to give talks and offer mentorship at local and international meetups and conferences. I remember the following:
- In February, I gave a talk on Package Development & Open Sourcery at the Lagos Laravel Meetup.
- In April, I gave a crazy talk on Continuous Delivery without the drama at the forLoop Lagos Developer event.
- In May, I gave a webinar talk on Rapid Application Development with Laravel Spark. You can listen to it here and check out the slides.
- In October, I was invited to inspire the graduating students at Valley View University, Ghana. Who am I to refuse? Went in there & fired them up!!!
- On November 18, I gave an inspiring talk(So, I heard) about becoming a World Class Developer at GDG DevFest South-East, PortHarcourt, Nigeria.
- On November 19, I gave a talk about How to become a World Class Developer at the debut GDG Asaba event, in Delta State, Nigeria.
- I magically appeared in Abuja, Nigeria on November 26 to give another talk on Firebase for the Web at GDG North Central DevFest. Check out this wonderful video recap of the experience.
- I was in Nairobi, Kenya from November 28 — December 2 to mentor startups at the Google Launchpad Nairobi week long event.
Work ,Travel & Adventure
I worked as a Technical Trainer at Andela until around mid-year 2016. I spent the later part of the year consulting for Auth0 & Cloudinary. This gave me the opportunity to travel to the United States of America for the first time to attend Auth0’s Offsite Annual Event in Washington.
I had the opportunity to travel again to the U.S.A for Chrome Developer Summit and Google Developer Expert Summit in San-Francisco.
I also visited Kenya, Ethiopia, Germany and Ghana.
My first open source project in 2016 got me trending for almost 3 weeks on Github top PHP developers. So this happened:
By Christine Magee On Sunday, Prosper Otemuyiwa, lead trainer and developer at Andela's Lagos campus, released his…andela.com
I got featured on laraveldaily.com.
While reading Twitter feed everyday, I see more and more new people in Laravel community. At the same time there are…laraveldaily.com
I got featured on TechCabal.
There's a super secret list of the best Nigerian programmers. We, TechCabal.com *collectively beat chests* have that…techcabal.com
I got featured on Code Maven Open Source Podcast.
20:35 Prosper Otemuyiwa Okay, so I...oh my God, I have a lot of plans! I am very much a community person so I...it's a…code-maven.com
I got featured on Developeronfire.com Podcast.
Prosper is a full stack software engineer and writer who's worked on biometric, health, financial and developer tools…developeronfire.com
I got featured on Guardian Newspaper.
Fire and Community Prosper Otemuyiwa is a young Nigerian software developer who believes in giving back to the…guardian.ng
I became a Google Developer Expert in Web Technologies, the third & youngest in Nigeria.
Google Experts are a global network of experienced product strategists, designers, developers and marketing…developers.google.com
- My Family: Dad, Mum and Siblings were all in good health in this year.
- I turned 24 in October this year & it was a very memorable experience.
- I registered my tiny company.
- I bought my first car this year. 💪✌️
- I lost an IPhone 6 and a MacBook this year. 😢 Well, I upgraded to an IPhone 7 and a better Machine, sorry Macbook! 🚀🚀🚀🚀
- I did not read any non-technical book this year. 😢
Finally, I met the goddess of sarcasm, an amazing young Architect & most importantly an Edo geh. I mean, what could be better than having someone constantly poking you to do better & supporting you all the way. Thank you, Elsie!!!
What about 2017?
I’m excited for 2017. In short, I already tagged it the year of excellence. As Uncle Victor Asemota already stated, I’ve activated the #beastMode for 2017. These are just a few of my world domination plan in the coming year:
- Writing: I want to write more technical articles and take my writing to the next level. I’ll endeavour to write and publish 3 books. This is a very herculean task but as they say; if your dreams don’t scare you, then you haven’t started.
- Speaking: I want to speak in major conferences, give more powerful & highly entertaining talks in several meetups and conferences.
- I want to travel to at least 7 new countries!
I met so many amazing people this year that I didn’t mention here. I’m thankful and grateful for how you all have helped me grow. Cheers to an amazing 2017. #BeastMode 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
Hacker Noon is how hackers start their afternoons. We’re a part of the @AMI family. We are now accepting submissions and happy to discuss advertising & sponsorship opportunities.
If you enjoyed this story, we recommend reading our latest tech stories and trending tech stories. Until next time, don’t take the realities of the world for granted!