MyEtherWallet Pt. 2 — How to use
This a simple step-by-step guide in understanding how to access and use your MyEtherWallet (MEW).
Now that you’ve gone through the process of creating one— let me show you how to access it. Make sure you have your USB stick handy where you saved the information we went over in MyEtherWallet Pt. 1 — Creating one.
*Note: Haven’t created one yet? — Read MyEtherWallet Pt. 1 — Creating one
Step 1: Unlocking your wallet
You can choose from a list of options on how to access your wallet, but I highly recommend you to log in with the “Keystore File/JSON File” option because it’s an encrypted version of your Private Key and is more secure.
Step 1: Accessing your wallet with your Keystore File
a. Click on “Keystore / JSON File”
b. Click on “SELECT WALLET FILE”
c. Select the UTC file you saved in your USB stick that looks like the file below
d. Type in your password
e. Click “Unlock”
You should land on a page that looks like the image below.
Look confusing? — Let me break it down for you.
- Your/Account Address: This is the address that you would share with others to send you Ethereum (ETH) and other tokens that are compatible with the wallet.
- Keystore File: You can download it again and back it up in your USB just in case.
- Private Key: You can print it and write it down to back it up just in case.
- Account Balance: This is the amount of Ethereum (ETH) you have in your account.
- Transaction History: This allows you to keep track of all of the transactions you have done on in detail.
- Token Balances: This will list out all of the compatible tokens you have in your wallet — also known as ERC-20 tokens. If you click on “Show all Tokens” you will find pre-listed tokens. You can also custom add tokens if they are not listed — projects normally have tutorials showing you how to add their token.
Congrats! You now know how to access your MyEtherWallet (MEW).
Would you like to learn how to purchase and send Ethereum (ETH) and tokens? — Read another simple step-by-step article I wrote on Crypto-Investing — A Simple Guide for Beginners.
If you have any questions or if you would like me to walk you through specific steps please feel free to contact me. Thanks for reading :)