As an object-oriented and class-based programming language, Java is loaded with numerous opportunities – it is portable, distributed, secure and dynamic. All the latest technologies depend on Java to support various functionalities. Which is why it comes as no surprise that Java reigns as the most popular programming language. It goes the same way with Java Frameworks which are very widely being used by Java developers today.
What are Java frameworks & why do we need them?
Java Frameworks are pre-written codes that you can add to your written code to solve a specific problem. These are similar to programming languages such as C++ but more simplified and advanced. Java developers can make use of any of these frameworks by calling its inheritance, methods, additionally supplying the callbacks, the listeners, and any other pattern implementation.
Frameworks also dictate an application’s structure; some even provide sufficient code that you do not need to do the added heavy lifting on your application. To be precise, frameworks are the essentials of programming.
However, selection of any framework by a developer would depend only on the type of the project at hand. That makes it essential that the developer analyze and study all the project requirements before making the selection of the framework.
Going forward we will take you through the 5 latest Java Frameworks that are making waves in the developer (and multiple other industries) today:
This is one of the most dynamic frameworks built by Groovy JVM programming language that is mainly used to enhance the productivity of the developer. The framework from the core is extensible, and many plugins are available for ease of integration of the add-on features. Developers can seamlessly and swiftly start their process of making a strong and superb application. It is used by many e-Commerce websites and CMS.
Uses of Grails
- Developers can build their plugins
- Most of the e-commerce websites use Grails
- Developers love it because of its easy-to-read documentation
Advantages of Grails
- It is an open-source framework
- Easily extensible
Companies using the Grails framework
2. GOOGLE WEB TOOLKIT
Uses of GWT
- Google API use
- Completely developer-friendly providing ease of use
Advantages of GWT
- It provides cross-border portability, bookmarking, history management, and internationalization.
- Reusability of common web development task is supported
Companies using the GWT framework
- Elegia Formation
- Flying Pig Adventure Company
A reactive mobile and web framework which is exceptionally suitable for scalable Java apps, Play helps to develop web-friendly and lightweight Scala & Java apps for both mobile and desktop. This is also a unique framework that does not depend on the Java EE standards; in fact, it tries to remove all obstacles caused by traditional Java web development.
Uses of Play
- Can be used in building configuration UI
- In building web apps which demand the creation of content
- In building Scala & Java apps
Advantages of the Play framework
- Web-friendly architecture
- Very high scalable
Companies using Play framework
It is an enterprise-level framework that is maintained by ASF or the Apache Software Foundation. It is a fully-featured web application of Java that assists developers in creating convenient, easy to maintain, and outstanding Java applications. Struts have 2 versions:
- Struts 1
- Struts 2
The Struts 2 is the more preferred version of the two due to the fact that it is the better upgraded one. Struts 2 is a combination of Struts 1 & web framework of OpenSymphony.
Uses Of Struts
- Struts 2 frameworks are made use of in developing an MVC based web application.
- Struts make use of the Java Servlet API which assists the Java developers in adopting the MVC architecture.
Advantages of the Struts framework
- Reduction in development time
- Provides centralized configuration which means that the values are expressed in XML
- It is easy to integrate Struts with any other kind of Java frameworks
- It creates elegant and modern Java web apps
Companies using the Struts framework
- NexGen Technologies
- Broadridge Financial Solutions Inc.
The most lightweight and simple of all Java frameworks, BLADE is high in performance, provides restful routing interface, thus making the Web API smooth and extremely easy to understand. Blade, which is based on Java 8, helps in the synchronization of data with the website and stands out due to its simplicity.
Uses of Blade
- Helps in being fast, intuitive and elegant
- Helpful in creating small MVC application
Advantages of Blade framework
- It supports web jar resources & plugin extensions
- Comprises of Cross-Site Request Forgery & XSS defense assistance
- Provides support to JDK 1.6
Companies using Blade framework
Java frameworks rank as some of the most significant support for developers today, and are therefore here to stay.
With Java being sturdy and versatile, and used in multiple domains – from research and science, Big Data, Stock Market, Financial services, Android, Information Technology, Retail, Banking, and web applications such as Google Docs, mobile games and even small applications – the universality and likeability of Java and its associated frameworks cannot be denied.
It is only a matter of selecting the right framework dependent on your project type and requirements. With Java, any framework you pick that requires the least code to write and is easy to manage can turn out to be the right one for you. So choose fast, choose well.