Want To Know What Orange’s New LPWAN Strategy Is?
Simple and rational:
- LTE Cat M1 for high power wide area networks (WAN’s) which are plugged into an AC power outlet.
- LoRa for battery powered WAN’s. More detail here.
- Body blow to NB-IoT, which is being dumped. Expect more defections in the EU, but not China. NB-IoT looks stillborn in N America.
- Correctly re-positions Cat M1 as a high powered WAN technology. It should be struck from the LPWAN conversation, really.
- Huge lift for Semtech and difficult to imagine them remaining independent now.
- Major scalability challenges remain for developers working to overcome the myriad weaknesses of Lorawan, which serious developers should avoid.
If you liked this article, please hit the ❤ icon below and follow me.
Join Hacker Noon
Create your free account to unlock your custom reading experience.