According to statistics, the majority of the population does not even read a book a year. On the other hand, one often hears that “successful” people read at least ten books a year. Whether these facts are true or not, they inspired me almost ten years ago to make me read at least 50 books each year. That’s how my “52 Books in 52 Week Challenge” came into being.
In 2018 I had the “ten year anniversary” of this challenge. On the one hand, I wanted to introduce the 52 books that I read last year, on the other hand, I wanted to explain in a video how I actually manage to read 52 books in a year:
The key things are:
- Know why you want to read so many books.
- Know how many you really want to read.
- Don’t worry about how too much.
- Combine reading with listening.
- Use times in between to get extra reading in.
PS .: On my YouTube channel [https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjwO-iVuY1v1GlRwSWc0n50aBUh3ycZbG] you can find a detailed analysis of the books and the background of the reviews. In the list below you will find the title, the author and the star rating out of five possible stars. Note: the links to the books are affiliate links to Amazon. This means, should you buy a book from Amazon via one of these links you pay as normal and I get a small fraction of the sales revenue as a thank you from Amazon. Of course, there is no disadvantage for you.
- The Power of Moments: Why Certain Experiences Have Extraordinary Impact — Chip Heath & Dan Heath 5/5: https://amzn.to/2sP4Y7I
- Finding my virginity: The New Autobiographie — Richard Brandson 2/5: https://amzn.to/2WrSVuB
- Principles: Life and Work — Ray Dalio 5/5: https://amzn.to/2Si6T2K
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind — Yuval Noah Harari 5/5: https://amzn.to/2SeI5ZF
- Total Recall, my unbelievably True Life Story — Arnold Schwarzenegger 5/5: https://amzn.to/2SeI87N
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow — Yuval Noah Harari 5/5: https://amzn.to/2WtzDos
- The Kangaroo Chronicles — Marc-Uwe Kling 5/5: https://amzn.to/2G8D8LB
- This time is different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly 1/5: https://amzn.to/2S6dZaP
- Michael Jordan — The Life 5/5: https://amzn.to/2t1OYiV
- Effective Executive — Peter drucker 2/5: https://amzn.to/2G7ZpsI
- Chicken Soup for the Soul 2/5: https://amzn.to/2TkrPU9
- Lean Six Sigma — Jim Hall 2/3: https://amzn.to/2sUCJ7A
- Ego is the Enemy — Ryan Holiday 3/5: https://amzn.to/2Bcz6hP
- Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury 4/5: https://amzn.to/2ThBSt6
- 12 Principles of Success & Fulfillment — H K Holevinsky 2/5: https://amzn.to/2G8jtLK
- 1984 — George Orwell 5/5: https://amzn.to/2WAnG0y
- 12 Rules For Life — Jordan B. Peterson 2/5: https://amzn.to/2Tj2Nol
- The Black Swan — Nassim Nicholas Taleb 3/5: https://amzn.to/2B8TO26
- The greatest — Muhammad Ali 5/5: https://amzn.to/2MBMpNr
- Animal Farm — George Orwell 5/5: https://amzn.to/2S8v047
- Das Känguru Manifest — Marc-Uwe Kling 5/5: https://amzn.to/2COZjmD
- Die Känguru — Offenbarung 3/5: https://amzn.to/2CMuWx7
- QualityLand — Marc-Uwe Kling 5/5: https://amzn.to/2RT3Gr3
- The Culture Code — Daniel Coyle 4/5: https://amzn.to/2BbNkPU
- Psychologie der Massen — Gustave Le Bon 4/5: https://amzn.to/2ME62V1
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack — Charles T. Munger 5/5: https://amzn.to/2SjgdUo
- The New Tsar — Vladimir Putin 4/5: https://amzn.to/2CSh3xz
- Inspired — How to build tech products customers love 5/5: https://amzn.to/2CNRhue
- Recovery: Freedom from our Addictions — Russell Brand 1/5: https://amzn.to/2WsnEb1
- I can’t make this up — Kevin Hart 5/5: https://amzn.to/2ME8v1L
- Men are from Mars, women from Venus — John Gray 4/5: https://amzn.to/2WsMY0k
- The Truth — Neil Strauss 5/5: https://amzn.to/2MEp0Ll
- The 5 Love Languages — Gary Chapman 4/5: https://amzn.to/2D1OvSr
- Extreme Ownership — Jocko Willink 5/5 (reread): https://amzn.to/2MEDx9z
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World — and Why Things Are Better Than You Think — Hans Rosling 5/5: https://amzn.to/2TrVZEU
- Free Will — Sam Harris 4/5: https://amzn.to/2ME9sHn
- Die Känguru-Apokryphen — Marc-Uwe Kling (DE) 3/5: https://amzn.to/2UryjRv
- The Moral Landscape — Sam Harris 4/5: https://amzn.to/2MFYd11
- Economy in One lesson — Henry Hazlitt 3/5: https://amzn.to/2CQqLAA
- The Most Important Thing — Howard Marks 4/5: https://amzn.to/2MEa3sB
- The Pleasure of Finding Things out — Richard P. Feynman 2/5: https://amzn.to/2TlKBdM
- Surely You’re Joking Mr Feynman — Richard P. Feynman 3/5: https://amzn.to/2MDkeNY
- The World’s Greatest Generals — Napoleon Bonaparte 2/5: https://amzn.to/2TmbuOH
- Shoe Dog — Nike — Phil Knight 5/5: https://amzn.to/2Tg5OG2
- Arianna Huffington: The Sleep Revolution 4/5: https://amzn.to/2CP0pPi
- Art of Learning — Josh Waitzkin 3/5: https://amzn.to/2Tq0WhT
- Team of Teams — General Stanley McChrystal 3/5: https://amzn.to/2MBRG7H
- Deep Work — Cal Newport 5/5: https://amzn.to/2B6Y3v6
- Deep Thinking — Garry Kasparov 3/5: https://amzn.to/2MFMyiC
- 21 Lessons for the 21st Century — Yuval Noah Harari 4/5: https://amzn.to/2MKpdwB
- Brief Answers to the Gig Questions — Stephen Hawking 4/5: https://amzn.to/2WspPLJ
- Seriously, I‘m kidding — Ellen DeGeneres 2/5: https://amzn.to/2Wsq4GD
By now, I’ve read over 500 books in my life so far. The lessons from these are immensely valuable to me these days. I hope this list inspires you to launch a similar challenge in 2019 for yourself as well! Let me know in the comments, if you are open to this and if you have already done something similar in the past. Are there perhaps any books which I should read in 2019? Let me know in the comments.
If you like this post, please share it on Social Media and give me a thumbs up.
Do you have any questions? Something unclear? Feedback? Or just a “thank you”? I’m always looking forward to your comment.
Until next time,
Furthermore, here are my social media channels — would love to be connected:
Dr. Julian Hosp (www.julianhosp.com) is a world renown blockchain expert. He co-founded a Singapore based company that has received over 100M USD in funding. Prior Julian was a 10-year professional athlete and a medical doctor.
He is the author of several bestsellers such as „Cryptocurrencies simply explained” and “Blockchain 2.0 — more than just Bitcoin”, which have been translated into 15 languages and has sold over 100,000 copies: www.cryptofit.community
He was named one of the world’s top Blockchain and Cryptocurrency experts and also works in blockchain groups with the European Union on topics such as regulation, social impact and economics.
As a Speaker of the Washington Speakers Bureau, he is frequently invited to global tech and entrepreneur events as well as government summits around the world and he is also a regular commentator in the media on current blockchain trends, the future of cryptocurrency and best practices.