1) I absolutely loved Web Summit 2016. It was my first conference of the kind and I got everything I wanted from it. I wanted to feel challenged, I wanted to meet fellow digital marketers who think differently than me, I wanted a glimpse into the future and be surrounded by greatness. Quadruple check.
2) The idea of offering 6000 low cost tickets (10€ each) to students aged 16–23 was quite brilliant. Giving them an incredible opportunity to learn and be part of an ecosystem they wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to. Portuguese students that attended will surely be better because of it.
3) The queues. It couldn’t all be great could it? Lunch time was chaotic. The food trucks were not enough for 50 thousand people trying to order at the same time. I had to leave everyday and find some hidden café in the middle of the surrounding buildings to be able to grab a bite to eat and not lose any conference. I’m sure you guys will tackle this issue for 2017.
4) The app was great. Scheduling and chatting with attendees worked fine but… have you noticed the app downloads an incredible amount of data? Right now, three days after the conference has ended, the iPhone storage says the app is occupying 1gb of space! Also, when I didn’t have wi-fi I used it on my 4g network and it used almost 500mb of data! I had to turn off its use of mobile data. Any chance it could be more lightweight?
5) It must be incredible hard to maintain a wi-fi network working consistently and quickly for 53000 people. The wi-fi worked mostly fine. Sometimes crashing but it was overall good! Nice job!
6) It’s heartwarming to see you talk about Lisbon. You clearly fell in love with it, and to me, that makes you an Alfacinha (the name Lisboners call themselves, it actually means “little lettuce” ahah). Thank you so much for bringing your Summit baby to Lisbon and sharing it with us. Most people have no idea how important this will be for the country and the city. They will!
I already got my ticket for 2017! See you next year!
You can read how I conquered shyness and talked to hundreds of people at the Summit here
You can read about my favourite Web Summit talks here
Create your free account to unlock your custom reading experience.